Human remains MUST have confirmed reservations for all sectors of travel prior to acceptance, including carriage on other airlines.
Gulf Air procedures and handling are in accordance with IATA TACT RULES and IATA HANDLING MANUALS.
- Human remains MUST be packed in a coffin, which is lead or zinc lined and hermetically sealed (i.e. completed air-tight). The coffin should be packed either in an outer wooden case and/or covered by canvas or tarpaulin so that the nature of the contents is not apparent.
- All human remains shipments MUST be accompanied by a certificate of death issued by a competent authority. It is acceptable for this to be retained by one of the deceased's family, if accompanying the shipment.
- NOC destination station embassy for transportation of dead body.
- Embalming certificate.
- Certificate for packing of coffin (the body must be wrapped into two bags of thick and transparent polythene, one from head end and other from foot side before packing into the coffin).
- Specific country requirements for other importation documentation are shown in TACT section 7.3 although it is the shipper"s responsibility to provide all documentation, all assistance should be offered. Embassies or Consultants are able to assist with specific details of documentation.
- The airway bill should be annotated in the handling information box if documents are attached. Human remains are surcharged as detailed in TACT Section 3.7. All shipments MUST be prepaid.
- The special cargo column of the cargo manifest should be endorsed "HUM".